VET FEE-HELP student loan scheme
Eligible students can apply to get a loan to pay for their fees through the Commonwealth Government’s VET FEE-HELP student loan scheme.
The VET FEE-HELP loan is to cover fees for Government subsidised courses at the Diploma or Advanced Diploma level.
Under this scheme, once you’re employed and your income exceeds a set level (currently around $54 000 per year), you start repaying the loan through the tax system.
Students doing government subsidised training do not pay the 20% VET FEE-HELP loan fee.
It is important to remember that if you take out a VET FEE-HELP loan but later withdraw from your unit or course, you must withdraw in writing before the census date. Students who don’t meet this deadline will be liable for the full amount of their loan.
For more information contact your training provider, visit the Commonwealth Government's Study Assist website VET FEE-HELP pages or contact the student hotline on 1800 020 108.
Important things to note about VET FEE-HELP
- VET FEE-HELP is administered by the Commonwealth Government Department of Education and Training.
- VET FEE-HELP for Government subsidised training is only available through approved providers.
- Visit the Commonwealth Government's Study Assist website to find out which training providers in WA offer this assistance.
- VET FEE-HELP is only available to eligible students. An eligible student must be an Australian citizen or permanent humanitarian visa holder who is a resident in Australia for the duration of study. New Zealand Citizens who are Special Category Visa holders may also be eligible for VET FEE-HELP if they meet additional criteria.
- Approved training providers have been allocated limits by the Commonwealth Government for total VET FEE-HELP loans in 2016. If your preferred training provider has reached this loan limit, you will be unable to access a loan with that provider. You may need to consider studying at an alternative VET FEE-HELP provider if you wish to access a VET FEE-HELP loan.
- Students can choose a VET FEE-HELP loan for all or part of their tuition fees.
- There is no age restriction.
- Literacy and numeracy pre-requisites apply.
- While VET FEE-HELP will cover your tuition fees (which includes course and resource fees), there may be some incidental and other costs associated with undertaking a course that are not covered by the scheme.
- A range of conditions apply for VET FEE-HELP.
- Before completing the Request for VET FEE-HELP Assistance form, read the VET FEE-HELP Information booklet which can be found at the Commonwealth Government's website studyassist.gov.au or contact the VET FEE-HELP student hotline: 1800 020 108.
VET FEE-HELP Certificate IV trial
Western Australia is taking part in a national trial extending access to the VET FEE-HELP loan scheme to the following State Government subsidised Certificate IV qualifications:
- Certificate IV in Aged Care
- Certificate IV in Disability
- Certificate IV in Community Services Work
- Certificate IV in Youth Work
- Certificate IV in Education Support.
The trial commenced in January 2014 and is to include units completed by 31 December 2016.
The Certificate IV trial ends on 31 December 2016. Students studying the above qualifications will need to pay fees without access to a VET FEE-HELP loan for any units scheduled to be completed after 1 January 2017 (as determined by the training provider at the time of enrolment).